Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Student-Led Conferences

We have been spending the past few days getting ready for next week's Student-Led Conferences. These conferences are not only an opportunity for the kids to share a sampling of their work with you but to help them develop a sense of ownership in their learning. When I was a kid I used to sit at home while my parents drove to school to get the "low down" from my teacher. The best scenario was that they would come home and say nothing. The worst... well, you can probably guess. As an adult I wonder now why I wasn't part of the process of figuring and sharing out how I was growing as a learner. All I had to rely upon was my report card - and that didn't really say much for my learning. It just spoke to things I had "earned" through memorization, project completion, extra credit, and so on.

Next week the kids will begin by telling you what they think knowledge is, where they believe it comes from, and their thoughts on college and careers. From there they will talk about themselves as readers, writers, mathematicians, scientists, and historians. Feel free along the way to ask questions - I certainly will. However, the conference is their show so we'll both need to stay in the background as much as possible.

Lastly, I generally do pretty well at staying on schedule so no one is left waiting more than a minute or two. However, if you notice we're more than a couple minutes late feel free to give a gentle knock. We'll appreciate the reminder.

Here is the schedule for conferences.

Tuesday, 2/12
7:30      Anna
3:00      Grace
3:25      Laila

Wednesday, 2/13
7:30     Trent

Thursday, 2/14
7:30     Chandler
3:00     Jackson
3:25     Jalen
3:50     Ellis
4:25     Micah

Friday, 2/15
8:00     Ryan
8:25     OPEN
8:50     Jasier
9:15     OPEN
9:40     Surya
10:05    Rachael 
10:30    OPEN
10:55    Maisy
12:00    Chase
12:25    Jade
12:50    David
1:15     OPEN
1:40     Abrianna
2:05     OPEN
2:30     Ashley
2:55     Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment