Wednesday, May 29, 2013

This Morning's Concer and News of Next Year's Loop

Thanks to everyone who was able to make it in this morning for the concert. I asked the kids yesterday which families were planning to come and based on that conversation I was expecting two or three visitors at most. Wow, I think we wound up with about fourteen or fifteen! The kids really did work very hard on their songs and were excited to have such a big audience between our families and the visiting classes from second and fifth grades.
No matter how their interests change and develop over the coming years I hope many of the kids keep writing songs - as well as lots of other types of writing. This short unit was such a great opportunity to read carefully for both meaning and structure, identify patterns across multiple sources of information, and model our own work after that of others we value. We'll record these songs tomorrow afternoon using the equipment you all purchased for the classroom last year.
In regards to next year's loop, thank you so much to everyone for filling out those sheets concerning the possibility of a four-year loop together. Knowing this was a real possibility allowed us the flexibility to interview not only teachers with experience and comfort teaching 4th and 5th grades but 2nd and 3rd as well. In the end, however, we found an amazingly strong teacher with lots of experience teaching 4th grade. Her name is Emily and she is actually a classmate of mine at USC whom I first met at a professional conference in Orlando a few years ago. We have since met many times to talk about education, reading methods, and how to take up issues relating to social justice in the classroom. I'm so happy for our school to have found someone who can seamlessly step in and not only fill a vacant spot but even challenge us all to think beyond ourselves.
Because nearly all her experience is with older students Emily will be stepping into Mrs. Vice's spot and inheriting Mr. Foote's students (as Mrs. Vice would have done). This means your kids will be moving on to Ms. Mahowald as originally planned. While I'm happy we found a great candidate with lots of experience I am also saddened to know this means the next few days will truly be the last with this group. Today we created lists of songs, books, and recess games we want to share together over the coming days as a way of reflecting on the great experiences we've had together. Not surprisingly, they picked some really good ones.
I want to make sure to thank each of you as well for all you've done over these two years. I hate cliches (and, thus, avoid them like the plague) but I truly do appreciate the trust you have afforded me in working alongside your children each and every day. Even on our worst days (which really aren't that often, I promise! ) I love each and every one of them with all my heart. Ten years from now I hope that's what they remember most about second and third grade.

In our two years we have learned a whole lot together and even tackled a few issues that are not always comfortable for everyone yet I've never received anything but support and honest feedback from you all. As a result of the stories you've offered about conversations at home, your child's feelings and experiences, and your own hopes for what we might accomplish together here at school, I have reflected on and reshaped a number of my own ideals about classroom practice and procedures. There was a time when I believed that at some point teachers come to have figured it all out. Now I realize that like parenting this is far from true because the context keeps changing.
I'd love to invite the kids to come play at some point during June (in batches). I've had some of them over already (due to established friendships with my home kids) but really want to make sure everyone who wants to has a chance to come hang out with us for a day of games and swimming. I'll send something more about this later on.
Thanks again,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment